Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I got to teach language

Today was very exciting! I visited the 5th and 6th grade classroom most of the day. It was great! Just after lunch, I even had the opportunity to teach some German, French and Spanish to the kids. They loved it! Especially learning how to say good night in the different languages - because they apparently all wish each other a good night over the radio. They also had a blast learning how their names would be pronounced in the different languages. Seeing the enthusiasm and motivation for foreign languages of these little kids actually really makes me want to teach younger kids than high schoolers. High schoolers can be so hard to move and motivate, while these kids just seemed to soak it right up! I think it really helped that there are very clear classroom rules established and respected, which made it really easy to get the kids focused after some wild pronunciation practice... It was a blast! I loved seeing the kids feverishly copy down the notes from the whiteboard before the teacher was going to erase them!

No comments: