Monday, March 22, 2010

Evening hike

In the evening, Ali-K and I went for a walk. I figured it would be a great idea to walk up the hill behind the airport. I was hoping to get a nice view of the village. Well... let's just say that's not exactly how it worked out. We happened to follow the wrong snow machine tracks and soon decided to abandon them because they turned to the wrong direction. Well... yet another bad idea because traveling across the snow without any kind of skis or snow shoes does not exactly work very well. I discovered at some point though that walking on all fours can be easier at times... so there I was crawling across the snow! :)



Ali-K much more gracious than me! :)

In the end, we decided to try to get back on the road because we were starting to feel our muscles and the hill still seemed far away - let alone Buckland on the way home! When we finally came back to the road, the walking was much easier. It still took us over an hour to get back to the village though! We were actually amazed by how far we had gone in the deep snow. It was a great workout and we learned some tricks about walking across the tundra in winter time!

No comments: